On February 13, 2012, Paris Office partner Winston Maxwell published in the French trade journal Edition Multimedi@. His article examines the European Commission’s proposed regulation on data protection, focusing on:
- the Commission’s choice of a Regulation as opposed to a Directive,
- the new obligations that would be imposed on companies including
- the accountability principle;
- Privacy by Design; and
- the obligation to conduct privacy impact assessments (PIA) for certain kinds of processing.
The article describes:
- the proposed changes to the rules on applicable law, which are designed to bring certain non-European websites within the scope of European privacy rules;
- the proposed "right to be forgotten";
- and the right to data portability.